Monday, July 29, 2013

July 29, 2013 Giant Pumpkins

July 29, 2013


Today we had a new problem. On our second pumpkin "Onesimus" I found an area where a SVB (squash vine borer) had laid eggs and they hatched. I had to split the vine and dig out the gross grubs living inside.

This is a picture of the moth that lays the eggs at the base of the vine
This is a picture of the larvae inside the vine. The larvae inside of  Onesimus was smaller about 1 centimeter long. There were several in there EEEWWWW!!!!!!  I had to split the vine, dig them out and kill them. It was totally gross.

I also found an adult squash bug laying her eggs and killed her and at least 80 eggs that I found on the leaves.



Picture of the Squash bug...disgusting

Onesimus on the left and Little-Bigger on the right in there new hoop houses that we built for them yesterday. 

I spent the day burring the secondary vines which are the vines growing off the the main vine. When growing a giant pumpkin only one pumpkin is grown and nurtured on the vine. The secondary vines are important because they bring nutrients to the pumpkin. I also fed and watered the pumpkins.

In the garden I harvested cherry tomatoes and beans. I offered them to my neighbor. He said "no thanks", "we just bought some". 









No comments:

Post a Comment