Wednesday, July 31, 2013

July 30, 2013 Giant Pumpkins and the Squash Vine Borer

July 30 2013

Today I found "frass" which is a saw dust-like dropping on the pumpkin vine. The frass indicates the presence of the dreaded SVB (Squash Vine Borer). The squash vine borer is a moth that lays her eggs at the base of the plant. When the eggs hatch the larvae bore into the plant and feed on it from the inside robbing the plant of vital nutrients. They will usually attack plants that are in the squash family such as zucchini, pumpkins, and gourds. One sign that the larvae are present is when the leaves appear wilted. If the borer's are not found and removed they will kill the plant.  

I spent the day slicing open the vines where I found the "frass"  was and digging out the caterpillar/grubs from inside and killing them. Applying peroxide and fungicide then covering the vine with dirt.  It was extremely gross. I'm guessing I found and killed around 15. 

 
These are a couple of pictures that I found on the internet. The larvae is just like what I found in my plants however the one's I found where not this large.... thank goodness. The moth looks a little like a wasp when it is in flight. If you see these in the garden it is not at good sign. I need to read more to learn how to prevent these from attacking my plants next year.

Photo: Giant pumpkin today. Bad news he has SVB (squash vine borer's)
Little-Bigger today

Photo: Second giant pumpkin is still growing but has squash vine borer's. I killed some and will search for more tomorrow.
Onesimus is Catching up 



No comments:

Post a Comment